Hurricanes are powerful storms that have the capability of causing massive amounts of destruction in their wake. Being that hurricane season lasts from June to November, we’re smack in the middle of the time frame when these storms are most likely to occur. So let’s talk about a few ways you can protect your property and family if a hurricane is predicted in your area.
- Securing Doors and Windows: Keeping windows and doors securely closed helps keep out rain and wind, which could otherwise create a buildup of pressure under the roof. Installing storm shutters or boarding up the windows when a storm is coming is often effective. Doors should have at least two locking mechanisms. Deadbolts, for example, help keep doors closed during high winds.
- Bracing the Garage Door: Contrary to popular belief, the garage door is actually the most vulnerable part of your house during a strong windstorm or hurricane. If wind circulates around inside the garage, it creates a positive push. Combined with the negative pull of the wind circulating above, these forces can rip the roof right off your home. You can prevent this by visiting your local home improvement store to buy a garage door bracer kit that helps support the structure of the door.
- Reinforcing the Roof: It’s also a good idea to have your roof inspected and reinforced if you haven’t already done that. Roofing professionals can look for and fix any loose tiles or shingles. Additionally, hurricane straps can be installed to bolt the roof to the structure of your house. You may also wish to inspect and secure any loose rain gutters and downspouts, along with clearing out any clogs or standing debris.
- Trimming the Trees: Dead or loose tree branches can snap off and become projectiles during high winds. Regularly inspect the trees on your property and trim them as needed.
- Taking a Personal Inventory: Maintaining a personal inventory of the things you own takes the guesswork out of filing a claim if your property damaged by a storm. Knowing what was lost and the value of those assets helps streamline the claims process, so you can receive money sooner.
And remember, starting the claims process as soon as possible after the damage occurs is the easiest way to get back on your feet sooner.
Need help with a claim? Call Lupton and Luce Inc. at (631) 727-4114 for more information on the New York insurance policies we offer.