Here on Long Island, where both the New York City suburbs and the scenic landscape of the Hamptons meet, we see a lot of both tourist and commuter traffic. Given our high traffic numbers, accidents could always happen, but everyone deserves to feel secure behind the wheel. Personalized car insurance can help you keep yourself and your vehicle safe from the costly ramifications of numerous driving hazards.
There are two primary reasons to have car insurance:
- New York requires drivers to carry certain amounts of coverage. Those who fail to do so could face significant penalties.
- Policies can help drivers receive compensation for many of the costs that arise from car accidents or other vehicle mishaps. Rather than having to pay out of pocket for their recovery costs, drivers can use their auto policy. Therefore, a policy will equal significant financial protection.
All in all, coverage can significantly reduce a driver’s hardships following various problems involving their vehicles. Drivers with the right coverage will be able to pick up the pieces and get on with their lives.
New York requires drivers to have three types of coverage:
If the insured driver is the person that causes the accident, they might have to repay other people for the damage they caused. Bodily injury liability coverage pays for third party medical costs while property damage liability coverage pays to repair other damaged vehicles or property.
No-Fault Bodily Injury Coverage
To limit insurance liability, drivers must buy no-fault injury coverage, also called personal injury protection (PIP coverage). Regardless of whether the accident was your fault, you can use this coverage to quickly receive assistance for your own medical costs following accidents. Only after your claim exceeds your PIP coverage limits might you be able to file against another driver’s liability insurance.
Uninsured Motorist Coverage
At times, another driver might be at fault for an accident, but they might not have liability insurance to compensate you for your losses. Uninsured motorist coverage will pay from your own policy in these situations. For example, if you become the victim of a hit and run, you can turn to your uninsured motorist coverage instead.
All New York policies must include at least the following minimum coverage limits:
- $25,000 bodily injury liability coverage per person
- $50,000 bodily injury liability coverage per accident
- $10,00 property damage liability coverage
- $50,000 PIP coverage
- $25,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage per person
- $50,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage per accident
You have the option to increase these limits to provide more expansive protection. Let one of our agents guide you through your options to find the most appropriate limits for you.
Even once you have your required auto insurance, you can add other coverage into your policy. Each of these benefits can pay for accident costs not covered by just the basic coverage.
- Collision Insurance: This coverage pays for damage to your vehicle after an accident.
- Comprehensive Insurance: Pays for damage from non-accident mishaps, such as weather or fire damage. Your policy will also usually cover vandalism and theft losses, too.
- Medical Coverage: Following accident injuries, this coverage pays your medical bills and those of your passengers.
- Uninsured/underinsured Insurance: This coverage pays for your damage when someone else is at-fault for the accident but doesn’t have appropriate liability coverage.
- Other coverage offers help for roadside assistance and rental cars.
We understand that every auto insurance customer wants to pay an affordable price for their coverage. That’s why we use only the latest policy rating tools to find you the most accurate price for your coverage. While we will take factors like your accident history, vehicle value and location into account, we will also compare policies to see which ones offer you optimized costs for your selected coverage.
Most auto insurance policies last either six months or one year. When your renewal time comes around, we can help you process you navigate the renewal process and advise you on any changes to your coverage or premiums. If you ever feel that renewal time is the time to look for new coverage, then we can help you do so.