Flooding is the most common natural disaster. Flood Insurance protects you from loss of home & possessions.
• Floods can occur almost anywhere at any time. You don’t need to live near water.
• Flash floods, inland flooding and seasonal storms bring flooding to every region of the country.
• Just inches of water can cause tens of thousands of dollars in damage. Most homeowners insurance does not cover floods.
• Only flood insurance financially protects your home and your personal property from floods.
• A flood insurance policy compensates homeowners, renters and business owners for all covered losses, and as opposed to a disaster loan, there is no payback requirement.
• The average policy costs about $600 per year.
• Once purchased, there is a 30-day waiting period for the policy to become effective, so don’t wait to buy it! You can purchase insurance no matter what your flood risk is.
• It doesn’t matter whether your flood risk is high or low, you can buy flood insurance as long as your community participates in the National Flood Insurance Program.
• You can get insurance if your house has been flooded before, and you can purchase it even if your mortgage doesn’t require it.
• People outside of high-risk areas file over 20% of NFIP claims and receive one-third of disaster assistance for flooding.